Sydney
Cairns
Alaska
San Carlos
Largo
Blighty
Tønsberg
AEST
QLDT
GMT-0900
PST
EST
WET
CET

Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The joys of commuting

Quality time with my merry fellow commuters

I thought I might share with you all a typical commute for me. Since I've been working in Oslo, it's been progressively more challenging to get myself out the door and into my office in good time. I tried the express bus for a few months, but the delays were too frequent. A 2 hour each way trip was just too much. Not to mention the alarm going off at 5:45 every morning just to be out the door no later than 6:30.

Since switching to the train, things have improved. Only 85 minutes on the train and another 10 to walk to the office. I was a little reluctant to switch to the train for politcial reasons, but that's a rant for another day. It might lack the cosy ambience of the bus, but saving nearly an hour a day has been nothing to sneeze at. No change in the alarm time, regrettably.

The fabulous Nationalteater station Oslo

The main reason that saving the time has been good is that I now get to spend almost an hour with my family before the youngest member gets heaved into her cot for the night. I think if I don't score a job in Oslo, I had better try really hard to get something closer to home.

Speaking of job, I had a meeting with the administrative boss yesterday as to the current state of play with my soon to be ex-position. Lordy! Applicant number one on the list has dropped out after he got a more attractive offer from NRK (Norwegian ABC). Applicant number two now has to be offered the position. It doesn't seem likely that he'll refuse, considering he already works somewhere in among the masses of HiO support staff here. But, it's a long walk without a drink... who knows? Applicant number three will keep you all posted as the situation develops.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the true & trusted line is "stranger things have happened" now spoken by somebody who in the space of 2 hours went from displaced, to possibly permanent, to NOT, to approved. Pathetic! but permanent with a wanky title to boot - Manager, Human Resources Business Reform. Probably the longest one I've ever had. Fingers crossed for you. i love the commuting photo - very Mona Lisa-ish.