Sydney
Cairns
Alaska
San Carlos
Largo
Blighty
Tønsberg
AEST
QLDT
GMT-0900
PST
EST
WET
CET

Thursday, April 21, 2005

A rant about ranting

It's something that as Australians, we cherish our birthright to go off about anything that gets under our skin. Bridge toll, stamp duties, GST, Delta Goodrem, Kerry Packer, the government (irrespective of its stripe) Bush, etc. it doesn't matter what the topic is, we are raised with the God given right to open our pie hole and give our 5 cents worth of uninformed opinion and then go off and do better things.

For some reason, Norwegians get scared when I rant


Now, as we well know, ranting doesn't mean we are actually going to do anything about it. I normally use ranting simply as entertainment and just for keeping conversations going at particularly dull gatherings.

So I come to my point. I live in Norway these days and blow me down, they don't really get it when it comes to ranting. They take it deadly serious and get all scared looking when you go off about the tollgates now encircling our little town (one of my favourite rants) and how someone should be put up against a wall for it and the tollgates blown up.

I maintain it's a cultural heritage thing for we southerners. Rannveig of course just tells me to leave it alone and stop making so much noise.

Any opinions on this subject? Stick it in the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would add to Ash's comments on my bucks weekend as his memory is sure to be somewhat foggy given his horizontal position. The real risk to him was what most Aussies may know as a "Tea Bagging" - given Anzac day is approaching its worth remembering that this was a crime that was prohibited under the Geneva Convention.....